In this episode we have almost quadrupled the original recipe, so don’t get scared! If you follow the recipe below, you will only end up with about 5 quarts of pickles.
You may also want to invest into good mandolin if you are going to make lots of bread and butter pickles, or any pickles for that matter that require slicing and dicing. The mandolins that we used in this episode com from OXO and you can get one from Amazon. Be very careful and focus when using this mandolin, it has extremely sharp blade!
- 5 quarts of cucumbers sliced thin (set to ⅛ if using mandolin)
- 8 onions - sliced
- 1 green pepper chopped (optional)
- 5 cups sugar
- ½ cup salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp mustard seed
- ½ tsp. ground cloves
- 1 tsp. celery seed
- 3 cups vinegar
- 2 cups water
- Cover sliced pickles, onions and pepper with ½ cup of salt. Then cover with ice cubes and let the pickles stand at the room temperature for 3 hours. Then drain well.
- In the meanwhile to make the brine (or syrup) mix vinegar, water, sugar, turmeric, cloves, celery add mustard seed.
- Combine the drained cucumber mixture and the syrup in a pot and heat the mixture to a scolding (or just at it begins to boil).
- Place the pickles into hot sterilized jars and seal immediately.