Fr. Vlad’s Rye Sourdough Bread (Episode 19)
Fr. Vlad's Rye Sourdough Bread
Author: Fr. Volodymyr Zablotskyy
- 1 cup of water (chlorine free, bottled water is fine)
- ¼ cup of sourdough starer
- 2 cups of all purpose white flour
- ½ cup of rye flour
- ½ cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp
- 1 tsp
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- In mixer bowl, combine water, sourdough starter and molasses and whisk it well.
- Add rye flour, whole wheat flour, caraway seeds, fennel seeds ad slat. Kneed the dough using a dough hook on a low speed for about 10-15 minutes.
- Set the dough to rise for 12-14 hours at room temperature (68°F-72°F), making sure to cover the bowl with plastic wrap to prevent the crust from forming.
- After the first rise, get the dough on a lightly floured board, deflate the dough gently. Form the dough into a ball and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Shape the final loaf and place it on a baking sheet lined with a parchment paper. Make sure that a seam is on the bottom of the loaf.
- Let the loaf rise for 1.5 to 2 hours, covered by a towel and a plastic to prevent any crust to form.
- minutes before the second rise is complete preheat the over to 375°F.
- Slash the dough with a razor, sharp knife or lame if you have it.
- Bake the bread for 30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 200°F.
- Invite some friends over to share your wonderful bread.