- 11-15 pounds of shredded cabbage
- 5 cups of shredded carrots
- 8-10 tbsp kosher salt (you may use pickling salt or sea salt)
- 3-4 tbsp of sugar (optional)
- Mix all of the ingredients well let in a large bucket or any other suitable container. Let it sit for a few minutes.
- Pack the mixture into the container that will be used for fermentation. (*see the notes below)
- Let it ferment for 7-10 days before transferring your sauerkraut into glass jars for storage. (stay tuned for the video on how to do it)
To make your own homemade sauerkraut, you do not need any special crock as long as you use a nonreactive vessel. It can be as simple as a food grade plastic bucket.